Sunday, October 2, 2011

I can trust God

I love hammocks. Laying in one, swaying back and forth, looking up at the sky in wonder, and just relaxing. It's quite wonderful if you ask me. 

Do you think that laying in a hammock is an act of faith? I lay my weight on the hammock, trusting the material, trees, and rope to bear all of me and relax because no effort on my part is holding me up.


 

I don't cling onto a tree or something else as my backup in case I fall through. The hammock holds me and I don't have to worry, right? 

I think trusting God is like laying in a hammock or bed. When we trust the author and perfecter of our faith we put no boundaries on what He can do and don't doubt He's going to stop sustaining us with His everlasting love. 

Why do we put trust in a hammock or my bed to carry us, but then worry about things out of our control instead of fully trusting the completely sovereign, infinite in wisdom, and PERFECT in love God? 

In the book Trusting God by Jerry Bridges he says, "Confidence in the sovereignty of God in all that affects us is crucial to our trusting Him. If there is a single event in all of the universe that can occur outside of God's sovereign control, then we cannot trust Him." 

Because God's love is infinite and His power is unlimited we CAN truly entrust everything to Him.   

Psalm 56:3-4 

But when I'm afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?   

 

I'm thankful my Jesus is big and mighty and reigning and I can trust in HIM alone.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment